An Anchorage man accused of sexually assaulting eight women — who has spent more than a year out on bail — is now charged with sexually assaulting a ninth victim. 

Kayshawn Dyett, 23, appeared in court Thursday for an arraignment on unclassified felony charges connected to the latest assault, which allegedly happened while he was home on house arrest, under pretrial supervision and wearing an electronic ankle monitor. 

He's accused of raping and strangling the woman, who told detectives she thought his name was "Kayshawn Dwight."  

In May 2018, Dyett was charged in the rapes of two women who independently reported they'd been violently assaulted and strangled by Dyett within the same 24 hours

By July, Dyett was released on a reduced cash bail of $5,000 and the supervision of the Pretrial Enforcement Division.

Soon after his release, more women came forward and he was indicted on charges representing six additional victims.  

Six additional women came forward once APD announced Kayshawn Dyett was charged with raping two women in May of 2018. (Photo Courtesy: APD)

With a victim count of eight women, prosecutors requested Dyett's bail be increased to more than $100,000 cash. Some of Dyett's accusers testified at a bail hearing, imploring the court to keep Dyett in custody, fearing for their safety and the safety of others. 

Dyett's defense attorney, Julia Moudy, argued that bail should not be increased because Dyett had been following all of his conditions of release during the two weeks he had already been out on bail. She also attempted to discredit the victims in the case, arguing that it is "in vogue" to be part of the #MeToo movement.  

Anchorage Superior Court Judge Kevin Saxby ultimately decided to double Dyett's cash bail, increasing it by an additional $5,000. He also agreed to a defense request to let Dyett remain on house arrest for two weeks, giving him time to come up with the additional money. 

22-year-old Kayshawn Dyett, accused of sexual assault by eight women, appears in court for a bail hearing on August 23, 2018. (Photo Credit: Matthew Johnson // KTVA)

In recent months, Dyett violated his conditions of release twice, according to the latest bail memo filed by the state. 

According to the document, he visited friends on his way home from work in May without having a pass to do so. Then, in September, he visited places in Anchorage without passes from PED, including Wendy's, where prosecutors believe he met the ninth victim. 

Online court records show Judge Michael Wolverton increased Dyett's bail by an additional $1,000 in response to the violations, which he posted. 

According to the state, less than 15 days later he committed another rape. 

"...the defendant is a serial rapist who refuses to be stopped..."

On Oct. 10, the bail memo states Anchorage police responded to a report of a sexual assault, in which the victim identified Dyett as the suspect. The woman told detectives she knew him as "Kayshawn Dwight" and he asked her to come to his house via the app Snapchat. The woman reported Dyett forced himself on her — describing an act that shares similarities with the accounts of other victims in the case.  

Thursday, Judge Patrick McKay granted the state’s request to set a cash bail of more than $500,000 at his arraignment on the new charges.

In the bail memo, Assistant District Attorney Betsy Bull wrote:

“The Defendant committed this new sexual assault while on house arrest with PED EM. He presents an unmitigated, proven risk of committing further sexual assaults against the women of the city of Anchorage. Performance bail no longer is speculating on his potential for future harm; he has demonstrated that he is willing to not only continue to rape and strangle women, but to do so while pending charges and while on release. This behavior demonstrates for the court that nothing will stop the Defendant from continuing to victimize women.”

According to previously filed court documents, the earliest reported assault Dyett is accused in dates back to 2012 — when he was a sophomore at Bartlett High School. He met two of the women through his employment at Sam's Club, another through a job at Dave & Buster's and one woman reported knowing him less than 24 hours when he allegedly raped her on a group camping trip. 

Multiple victims reported Dyett told them to call him "Daddy" while sexually assaulting them. Indecent exposure, non-consensual contact with semen and strangulation are also themes throughout the women's accounts.  

"He presents an unmitigated, proven risk of committing further sexual assaults against the women of the city of Anchorage." 

The most recent bail request reads:

“… the Defendant is a serial rapist who refuses to be stopped or deterred by bail, felony charges, or ankle monitor.”

In 2018, bail was set under pretrial laws in Senate Bill 91. The new offenses, however, fall under new laws. According to prosecutors, this includes House Bill 49:  

"That bill changed 12.30.011 and created a rebuttable presumption that there is a substantial risk that the person will not appear and the person poses a danger to the victim, other persons, or the community if the person is (A) charged with an unclassified felony..." 

"Mr. Dyett has now sexually assaulted and strangled yet another victim while on release and pending trial for 12 sexual assault and strangulation felonies across eight different victims," said Assistant District Attorney Anna Cometa in court Thursday. 

Thursday's ruling on bail is temporary. The issue is set to be re-addressed at a separate hearing in the case on Monday. 

Dyett faces a mandatory minimum of 57 and a half years to serve with no good time or parole if convicted at trial. If convicted of all the counts against him, he could spend the rest of his natural life in prison, according to the state. 

Some of the victims in the case were present at Thursday’s hearing by phone, though they were not called upon to speak.  

If you or someone you know has been a victim of sexual assault, resources are available on the Standing Together Against Rape (STAR) website or by calling the statewide crisis hotline at (800) 478-8999.  

Copyright 2019 KTVA. All rights reserved.