2019 Alaska Run For Women awards more than $235,000 to support Alaskan women's health
October is breast cancer awareness month and the Alaska Run for Women marked the occasion by awarding hundreds of thousands of dollars locally to support breast cancer awareness, detection, treatment and research.
Since starting in 1993, the annual race has raised more than $4.8 million, according to Caitlin Weaver, a spokesperson for Imaging Associates which is a major sponsor of the race.
About 5,000 people participated in this year's event on June 8, Weaver said.
Dr. Heather Tauschek the director of women's imaging at Imaging Associates says the money raised helps Alaskans.
"One of the beautiful things about the Alaska Run for Women is that the majority of the money raised actually stays within the state," Tauschek said.
The 11 organizations awarded grant money this year are:
• YWCA-AK Encore $50,000
• Breast Cancer Research Foundation $33,800
• Kachemak Bay Family Planning $30,000
• Anchorage Neighborhood Health Center $30,000
• Mammography Fund $25,000
• Breast Cancer Detection Center $20,000
• Norton Sound Health Corporation $16,000
• UAA Clinical Research $15,000
• Let Every Woman Know $7,500
• AK Community Action on Toxics $6,300
• American Cancer Society $3,000
The 2020 Alaska Run for Women is scheduled for Saturday, June 13.
Copyright 2019 KTVA. All rights reserved.
MORE NEWS FROM KTVA: