Breakfast with Champions: Special Olympics Alaska celebrates community
It's a special breakfast that celebrates a special community. On Wednesday, the third annual Breakfast with Champions honored Special Olympics Alaska athletes and their families, as well as the sponsors and volunteers who support the cause.
Special Olympics Alaska COO and Vice President Sarah Arts says it takes a lot of effort and work from many people for the organization to continue running smoothly.
This breakfast is a way for Special Olympics Alaska to say thank you to everyone who supports the cause and to celebrate the accomplishments of the athletes who have grown throughout the year.
Over 2,000 athletes from 10 communities across the state participate in Special Olympics Alaska.
Here are this year's award recipients:
• Athletes of the Year: Ayesha Abdul-Jillil (Anchorage) and Eddie Escalera (Homer)
• Coach of the Year: Robbie Johnson (Mat-Su)
• Family of the Year: Broyles Family (Anchorage)
• School Program Partner of the Year: Alaska School Activities Association (ASAA)
• Sponsors of the Year: Coca-Cola Bottling of Alaska and Colaska
• Volunteers of the Year: Scott Minor (Anchorage) and Pati Washam (Valdez)
• Ed Stauber Award: The Fraize Family (Anchorage)
• Jim Balamaci Legacy Award: Patti McGuire
Copyright 2019 KTVA. All rights reserved.
MORE NEWS FROM KTVA: