A 32-year-old man was arrested Sunday after police say he fired shots at officers with the Anchorage Police Department.

Jarel M. Paulk was first pulled over around 12:46 a.m. Sunday for a traffic stop. According to a release from APD, an Impaired Driving Enforcement officer initiated the stop after witnessing Paulk drift across all four southbound lanes of Gambell Street before turning into the parking lot of First National Bank.

A mid-shift officer also arrived on scene. Police say a computer check revealed Paulk didn't have insurance and his driver's license was revoked. He was issued citations for both violations and told his vehicle would be impounded.

Paulk and his passenger, a woman, started walking away from the scene while "verbally expressing their displeasure with the situation."

"An unrelated vehicle pulled into the bank parking lot which caused both officers to look over at it," the release states. "Just then, at 1:29 a.m., a shot was fired at the officers from the direction Paulk and his passenger had just been at; a tree was hit near where the officers were standing. The officers immediately took cover and another shot was fired in their direction."

Police say every available officer responded to the scene and set up a perimeter. Officers set up a K-9 track, but were unable to locate Paulk and the woman. The perimeter was broken down at 2:42 a.m.

No officers were injured during the shooting. The release states that no officers fired their weapons, because "they did not have a clear target in their sights."

"Just the mere fact that the officers did not return fire is a huge statement of their training and paying attention to what they can and can't do," said Renee Oistad, an APD spokesperson. "You don't want to just fire back if you don't have clear sights on a target and you also don't know what's in the background because hitting an innocent person is the absolute last thing we want to do."

At 5:14 p.m., officers got word that Paulk and the woman were somewhere in the Mountain View area. They were spotted outside on the 300 bock of N Bunn Street.

According to the release, Paulk refused to comply with the demands of officers. Several officers then took Paulk to the ground, handcuffed him and put him into full restraints. He was taken into custody just before 5:30 p.m. after being "physically combative."

Police say they found Paulk's weapon underneath a car near where he was standing. The woman was also taken into custody without incident. Both she and Paulk were transported to APD for questioning. 

Paulk was remanded at the Anchorage jail on multiple charges including assault, misconduct involving a weapon and resisting arrest. The woman was not charged.

In court on Monday, Paulk told the judge he never shot at the police officers. The judge, however, told Paulk that she believes he is a danger to the community.

Paulk's bail was set at a $7,500 cash performance bond, along with a $1,000 cash corporate appearance bond. The judge also ordered Paulk be put under house arrest with an electronic monitor under the condition he cannot have weapons or ammunition. Paulk is also not to have contact with the officers involved unless it specifically related to their job duties.

Copyright 2019 KTVA. All rights reserved.