Kelsey Jackson, the 24-year-old woman accused of stabbing and killing her 3-year-old daughter, appeared in court Friday afternoon for an arraignment where the judge greatly increased the initial bail amount set for her release.

She faces charges of first- and second-degree murder. 

According to court documents, police found Jackson and her daughter in the backseat of a vehicle that was parked at Point Woronzof in Anchorage about 6:40 Wednesday morning. They had both been stabbed. The child was strapped into her car seat, appeared to have been stabbed multiple times and was obviously deceased. 

A knife was found underneath the front seat.

At the scene, Jackson made statements to officers that she "did it," the documents state, and that no one else was involved.

Jackson was taken to the hospital. There, she was found to have cuts on her arms consistent with a suicide attempt, the documents show. While investigating, detectives learned that police had contacted Jackson in the past with regard to suicide attempts. She declined to make a statement.

On Thursday, Jackson was discharged from the hospital and taken to jail, according to a statement from police. 

Separate court documents from September 2018 detail a 20-day protective order issued on behalf Shane Hedrick — the child's grandfather. 

Hedrick, whom court documents describe as either Jackson’s father or step-father, alleged Jackson damaged a TV, door, laptop and wall in the home, but that no one was injured. He also reported “strange behavior.” Jackson was ordered to stay at least 500 feet away from the home she shared with Hedrick and her daughter for the duration of the temporary order.

The child’s maternal grandparents were given temporary custody while the protection order was in place.
In his request for a long-term protective order, Hedrick asked that Jackson be treated for mental health and substance abuse. A long-term order was not granted after Hedrick didn’t come to the hearing in October.

Jackson does not have any prior criminal convictions in Alaska. Online court records Thursday showed Jackson's bond was initially set by Judge Nancy Nolan at $10,000 cash appearance, meaning the full amount would have to be paid before she could be released.

However, when Jackson appeared at her arraignment Friday afternoon the judge adjusted her bail to $250,000 cash corporate to appear and $100,000 cash performance. She would need to pay $125,000 to be released from jail.

If you or someone you know needs help, you can call the Stop Suicide Alaska Hotline at 1-877-266-HELP.

Editor's note: This article has been updated to include details of 2018 protective order and updated bail amounts.

Copyright 2019 KTVA. All rights reserved.