The man accused of murdering a Barratt Inn employee last weekend allegedly confessed to shooting him several times, during an encounter that escalated to sudden gunfire.

Theandrea Luster, 20, was arrested Sunday on charges including first- and second-degree murder in the death of 40-year-old Javon Diggs. Officers responding to the inn, at 4601 Spenard Road, at about 9:30 p.m. Saturday found Diggs with five gunshot wounds. He died at the inn soon after the shooting.

According to a request for an arrest warrant on Luster, filed by APD Detective Jade Baker, officers discovered Diggs’ body in a third-floor hallway just outside of his room at the inn.

“Sgt. [Jason] Penman advised that multiple subjects cleared the hallway and exited through the main entrance to the building,” Baker wrote. “He stated that four subjects that had been seen on hotel video entering the building shortly before the shooting were seen quickly leaving the main entrance of the hotel immediately after the shots were fired.”

Police found two shell casings near Diggs’ body, and obtained a search warrant to seize surveillance video footage from a hallway camera within 10 feet of where Diggs had been shot.

At about 2 a.m. Sunday, officers picked up Luster in a Meyer Street disturbance. He had a 9 mm pistol with him at the time, and he was brought to APD headquarters for an interview.

“I saw Luster walk past the Homicide office as he was being walked back to the interview room and noticed that he was wearing the same clothing as one of the subjects in the security video,” Baker wrote.

Baker said Luster waived his Miranda rights to conduct an interview at about 3:30 a.m., initially telling detectives that he had spent Saturday in Mountain View and found the handgun there. When shown a photo of himself in the surveillance video, however, he admitted that he and his relatives had visited the inn.

“Luster then told me that he, his mother, sister, and girlfriend had gone to the Barratt Inn to possibly stay there,” Baker wrote. “He said that upon arrival, his mother wanted to see Flip (a moniker used by Javon Diggs) because Flip owed her something.”

An argument began when the family encountered Diggs in the hallway, Luster told police. At one point, Diggs pushed Luster’s mother against one side of the hallway and his brother against the other. Luster and Diggs were five to six feet apart, he said, when Diggs “reached into his belt line in an aggressive manner."

“Luster confessed that he then pulled out his 9mm pistol and shot Flip six times in the chest area,” Baker wrote.

The court document states Diggs had been shot five times, contrary to Luster's statement to police.

When Baker asked Luster if he had seen Diggs holding a firearm at any point, he said he had not.

“Luster stated that he drew and shot the gun too fast to see if Flip had a firearm in his possession,” Baker wrote. “Luster stated that he then fled the scene immediately after shooting Flip and had not even seen Flip hit the ground.”

Luster was initially held without bail before being arraigned Sunday afternoon. He remained in custody Monday afternoon at the Anchorage Correctional Complex, according to a statewide inmate database.

Copyright 2019 KTVA. All rights reserved.