2 hurt in 2-alarm fire at Brown’s Electric on Old Seward
Numerous Anchorage Fire Department crews responded to a Monday afternoon fire at a South Anchorage electrical store, which left two of the building's occupants injured.
AFD fire marshal Cleo Hill said crews were called at 1:51 p.m. to Brown’s Electric at Old Seward Highway and East 76th Avenue. After a second alarm was called, 18 units were responding to the blaze.
Floyd Hall, who helps find stolen vehicles in town, said he saw two older people who emerged from the building being taken to ambulances, after apparently suffering from smoke inhalation.
“They were standing up walking; someone was just sort of helping them, like holding their arm,” Hall said.
Brown's Electric employee Brian Davis said the couple lives in an apartment above the commercial space rented out to Brown’s. He said his first indication of the fire was a warning of smoke from a colleague.
"I looked up and it's smoking," Davis said. "We had an off-duty fireman come by and he's yelling to get everyone out, and so everybody got out."
The fire was called under control by 2:45 p.m., according to Hill, with no additional injuries reported.
Medics had transported the people injured in the fire to local hospitals, Hill said. Neither were firefighters.
Hill was awaiting word on the condition of the people hurt in the fire as well as the extent of damages to the Brown's building, one of the store's two Anchorage locations.
Megan Mazurek and Daniella Rivera contributed information to this story.
Copyright 2019 KTVA. All rights reserved.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: