Earthquake causes fire at Fairview church
The Jubilee Christian Center Alaska in Fairview was seriously damaged by a fire that appears to have been caused by Friday's earthquake.
De'Shawn Bromfield lives nearby. He says he saw a power line fall and hit the church, sparking and a few minutes later saw the fire in the same location. He called 911 when he saw it happen. Emergency responders on Friday said it appeared a power line fell on the roof, according to Beka Opetaia, the daughter of Jubliee's pastor.
She says a family friend called her and told her about the fire. First responders were already trying to put it out when she arrived.
"It looked like it was being put out," Opetaia said. "We had about three, four fire trucks we had a cop that had to stop me from running to the sanctuary, but it was flaming all over the fireplace especially our sanctuary inside. It was very chaotic. Everything was happening so fast I couldn't understand the process."
The church's website says Jubilee Christian Center Alaska was founded in 2002. No one was in the church at the time.
Copyright 2018 KTVA. All rights reserved.