Back-to-school week: Tricks to save more and worry less
According to a study done by shopping app RetailMeNot, 87 percent of parents of schoolchildren say back-to-school shopping stresses them out.
Over one-third of Americans say making the most out of their budget (43 percent), thinking of how much they will spend (40 percent) or finding the best deals on items (37 percent) will cause them stress during back-to-school shopping.
Here's what RetailMeNot shopping expert Sara Skiboll recommends you do to stay calm, cool and collected and out of debt.
Tips for back-to-school shopping:
1. Make a list and stick to it: The long list of needs that teachers ask their students to bring is daunting enough, so make sure you stick to the needs and less on the wants.
2. Buy the basics in bulk and split with other parents: When the school year starts, kids can really go through the essentials like paper, pencils, glue sticks and notebooks. Not to mention, adults use all of these items as well more often than not. When supplies get low throughout the year, make sure to buy these items in bulk for the best deal.
3. Use a coupon or cash back offer.
4. Start by shopping at home: Go through the house and look for folders, pencils, markers and anything that's still good and can cross off items on your school supply list. The same goes for clothes and shoes anything that still fits is one less item you need to buy.
5. Check Out Dollar Stores: Dollar stores aren't everyone's first thought for school supplies, so you might be able to find better deals.
6. Buy Generic: Generic school supplies can save you a lot of money.
7. Order what you need online: You can easily compare prices and skip the lines.
8. Use Apps: Allows you to save and make money.
To stress less, Skirboll said to "first find a place that you do all your shopping then supplement with online shopping."
"Number two, leave your kids at home," she said. "You can take them for one of the trips, but it can get stressful having one child or multiple children on your arm crying they want this they don't want that. Number three, always make a list. Know what you're buying instead of wandering around the mall and it all adding up."
Copyright 2018 KTVA. All rights reserved.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: