Anchorage Police last weekend arrested a Michigan man, who had apparently tried to start a new life in Alaska, on an outstanding warrant linked to a decades-old murder.

APD spokeswoman Renee Oistad said Reggie Thompson, 45, was taken into custody Saturday afternoon during a trespass call. Officers had responded at about 3:20 p.m. to reports of a man and a woman near the Jewel Lake Community Church of the Nazarene, on 88th Avenue near Jewel Lake Road.

"The complainant said there were a lot of clothes around the two," Oistad wrote in an email.

The extraditable warrant against Thompson is for absconding parole after being convicted nearly 30 years ago of second-degree murder and assault to murder in Michigan, according to charging documents.

Anchorage police were able to confirm Thompson was the man wanted in Michigan through his Alaska DMV photo and from the Michigan Department of Corrections, charging documents said. Police will be sending him back to Michigan.

According to an email from Michigan DOC spokesperson Chris Gautz, Thompson was 15 years old on the night of Nov. 2, 1988 during a dispute with two young men -- one 20, one 18 -- in the city of Flint. The encounter ended when Thompson opened fire with a 16-gauge sawed-off shotgun.

"The two men he shot were selling drugs out of the house of a relative of Thompson’s," Gautz wrote. "There was an argument about selling the drugs and a gun that had been stolen from the men."

The 18-year-old died and the 20-year-old suffered arm injuries in the shooting, according to Gautz. Flint Journal newspaper stories from the shooting, stored at the Buick Gallery in Flint, identified the victims as Rodney Seabron and Timothy Rhyndress; both were taken to a local hospital, where Seabron died of his injuries.

Thompson robbed the victims of about $70 in cash and $10 in food stamps, Gautz said, then fled to Indiana where he later turned himself in.

According to the Michigan DOC websiteThompson was convicted of the murder by a jury before being sentenced in June 1989.

He was paroled in December 2017 but he hadn't checked in since April 4, based on the Michigan DOC data.

Chris Klint and Mary Simton contributed information to this story.

Copyright 2018 KTVA. All rights reserved.