Homeless camp copper burning leads to S. Anchorage fire
Raspberry Road was closed westbound near Minnesota Drive Thursday afternoon, as local and state fire crews responded to a south Anchorage grass fire.
Anchorage Fire Marshal Cleo Hill said the blaze, at Connors Lake Bog, started just after 2:30 p.m. There were no injuries or wildlife deaths, but 20-foot flames were reported during the response.
Authorities on scene said the blaze began in a homeless camp, where plastic was being burned off copper wiring.
Eleven AFD units responded to the scene, with no concerns for the fire’s spread Thursday.
Norm McDonald, a spokesman for the state Division of Forestry, said a Mat-Su-based team responded to relieve local fire crews.
“We sent one of our 20-person hand crews, Granite Glacier, to help up with cleanup and free those guys up for their day job which is structure fires,” McDonald said.
The fire scene was expected to be fully cleared later Thursday afternoon, McDonald said.
Bryan Dunagan and Jared Mazurek contributed information to this story.
Copyright 2018 KTVA. All rights reserved.