Teen hurt after Alakanuk propane huffing ends in fire
A Monday fire in the Lower Yukon River village of Alakanuk injured a teenage girl, during what Alaska State Troopers said began as children getting high by huffing fumes.
A 9 a.m. report of the blaze from the community of about 700 people -- which included an inaccurate initial claim of an explosion -- was received by troopers in Emmonak, eight miles to the northeast, according to an online dispatch.
"An investigation showed that several juveniles had gone onto someone’s property and were huffing propane," troopers wrote. "The propane tank caught fire and was shooting fire out from the top of the tank."
The injured girl, a 14-year-old, was flown out of Alakanuk for treatment.
In September troopers said another 14-year-old, Nayumiralria Tugatuk, lost his life during a huffing incident in Aleknagik. State officials said at the time that nearly a dozen people have died in Alaska huffing-related incidents since 2014 -- and that half of the deceased were people over 30, as age trends in what was once a teenage habit rise.
Charges in Monday's incident were being forwarded to the state Division of Juvenile Justice office in Bethel for review, troopers said.
Copyright 2018 KTVA. All rights reserved.