The District Attorney’s Office is trying to get a man charged in a brutal gang rape back to Alaska, but so far he’s not cooperating.

Antwon Archibale’s ankle monitor went dark after he was given permission by a judge to leave the state for medical treatment.

The attack Archibale is charged with happened on a cold night in November 2003.

Anchorage Police say the victim was a woman who had been visiting Chilkoot Charlie’s with her sister and friend. Her sister drove the friend home, leaving the victim to search for a ride when the bar closed. 

“Standing in the cold, a male unknown to her struck up [a] conversation with her and offered her a ride to her home, which she accepted,” police said in a statement. “Instead of being taken home, she was taken to an apartment in east Anchorage, where she reported she was brutally sexually assaulted by at least seven young males.”

After being assaulted and dumped in a parking lot, the victim reported the incident to police and underwent a rape exam. At the time of the initial report, the woman could not name any of the suspects or provide the location of the rape.

Without any leads or clues, the case went cold-- but police got a break in the case nine years later, when police received a “DNA hit”, linking evidence from the victim’s rape kit to then-31-year-old Orlin Sutliff.

After conducting more than a dozen interviews, gathering evidence and building a prosecutable case, APD was able to charge and arrest Sutliff, then Archibale, as suspects.

Both were arrested and in 2013 were put on monitored pre-trial release, according to Alaska pretrial services director Dennis Johnson.

Johnson says Sutliff has been compliant, but Archibale has been a much more difficult client.

“He doesn’t remain in what I would call comfortable contact,” Archibale’s attorney, Jon Buchholdt, said during a Friday bail hearing.

State prosecutors asked a judge to issue a new arrest warrant for Archibale.

In August 2017, state prosecutors say Archibale was given permission by a judge to travel to Aurora, Colorado, for medical treatment for injuries sustained in a car accident.

At that time, he waived his extradition rights.

“He left in August of 2017 and he has never returned,” Assistant District Attorney Saritha Anjilvel told the judge in the case. “The state has no list of medical appointments for Mr. Archibale, and the state has also received several pieces of evidence that he actually isn't in Colorado-- he is somewhere else.”

While Archibale was out of state, he was supposed to be on GPS monitoring and check-in with Alaska Pretrial Services every day, but Johnson testified that Archibale allowed the battery on his device to go dead. He has had no GPS contact from Archibale’s monitor since October 24.

“It’s been too many months that he's been out of contact,” Johnson said. “Mr. Archibale knows that he can go and plug the device in at any time and the device will register and he has failed to do so for a numerous amount of months.”

Criminal records and documents from Child Protective Services track Archibale to Las Vegas, where he was arrested on a domestic violence charge on September 2. He later turned up in Michigan, where his seven children are in state custody.

Angival says asked a judge to issue a new arrest warrant for Archibale and a new $5,000 cash performance bond.

Archibale participated in Friday’s hearing via phone. He told the judge that his mother had purchased him a plane ticket back to Alaska and he would arrive on Monday, February 5.

The judge issued the new warrant, but Archibale never returned to Alaska.

Johnson says he’s not surprised Archibale didn’t show up as promised. It is a situation he’s seen play out over and over with Archibale. Johnson says he did talk to Archibale on Tuesday, who again promised he would return to Alaska soon.

Archibale’s sexual assault trial is currently scheduled for April 9.

Copyright 2018 KTVA. All rights reserved.