A 32-year-old man is accused of fatally shooting a man in the Southwest Alaska village of Ivanof Bay more than a year ago, according to Alaska State Troopers.

Ole Shangin faces one count each of first-degree and second-degree murder in the July 16, 2016 death of 31-year-old Joseph Peterson, troopers said in an online dispatch. Peterson was fatally shot at a home in Ivanof Bay, a tiny community of about half a dozen people roughly 250 miles southeast of Dillingham.

An arrest warrant for Shangin was issued Sunday by an Anchorage court.

“On [Wednesday] Alaska State Troopers and Alaska Wildlife Troopers from the King Salmon post traveled to the village of Perryville where Shangin was located and taken into custody without incident,” troopers wrote.

A bail memorandum in the case, filed by Assistant District Attorney James Klugman, said Peterson, Shangin and Shangin’s wife had been hired that summer as help at one of Ivanof Bay’s two main households.

Shangin and others at the home told responding troopers that he had shot Peterson in self-defense during a fight. Klugman said, however, that their accounts were inconsistent.

For instance, Shangin said that just before the shooting Peterson had been assaulting one of the homeowners, who told troopers he wasn’t even in the room at the time. In addition, everyone present claimed Peterson had threatened to kill them – a statement only Shangin said he’d directly heard, and the other witnesses later said Shangin had told them about.

“Shangin was adamant that he had shot Peterson twice: once in the chest, and a second time in the head when the first shot failed to stop him,” Klugman wrote. “But the autopsy conducted in the case demonstrated that [Peterson] had been shot at least three times – and that the two fatal shots struck him in the back and in the back of the head.”

Shangin also told troopers, Klugman said, that Peterson had aimed a pistol at him and pulled the trigger, and that the only reason it didn’t fire was because its safety was on.

“The weapon in question was a loaded double-action revolver with no manual safety: pulling the trigger would have discharged a round,” Fayette wrote.

Troopers said Shangin was taken to King Salmon, where he was held without bail.

Editor's note: An earlier version of this story misstated the date of the shooting.

Copyright 2018 KTVA. All rights reserved.