A woman sought in the Fairbanks death of her half-brother has been arrested by Alaska State Troopers, after she allegedly tried to stab a woman to death before taking her truck Wednesday.

Fairbanks resident Lindsey Preshaw, 35, faces charges of attempted murder, assault and vehicle theft, according to an online trooper dispatch. Troopers were initially told just after 5 p.m. Wednesday that “a woman had been stabbed multiple times and her vehicle had been stolen by an unknown adult female.” The victim was taken to Fairbanks Memorial Hospital with life-threatening injuries.

“[The victim's 2006 Honda Ridgeline pickup truck] was recovered a short distance away from where it was stolen, near Mile 341 of the George Parks Highway,” troopers wrote. “Investigation led to [Preshaw] being contacted and arrested at Mile 309 of the George Parks Highway.”

Troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters said that the attack on the woman wasn't a carjacking, and that it occurred outside a home seven to 10 miles away from Mile 341.

In a criminal complaint against Preshaw, troopers said the victim was picked up by medics shortly after 5 p.m. Wednesday at an address on Park Ridge Road, after multiple calls reporting she was injured. She was hospitalized with a partially collapsed lung and several deep cuts.

When troopers spoke with the victim, she said she had arrived at her Parks Highway home to find a Caucasian woman she didn't know leaving the front door of her residence. She told the woman to leave her property, parked her pickup in the garage -- which didn't have a doorway to the home -- and was met by the woman at the home's front door when she tried to step inside. The woman asked the victim if she had a dog leash for her dog; the victim said she didn't, and again told her to leave.

"[The victim] then turned and started walking towards her house," troopers wrote. "Before she reached her residence she was attacked from behind by the female who started stabbing her over and over again."

After the stabbing, the victim said the woman asked her for money, then said she needed to "get out of there." The victim offered her a ride in the Ridgeline, but the woman instead told her to get into the passenger seat as she drove. Soon afterward, she let the victim get out near Park Ridge Road where she was able to find help.

Responding troopers found the Ridgeline abandoned near Mile 341 of the Parks, where a man told them he had given a woman a ride to a road near a local restaurant. Troopers found footprints leading toward the highway, but the woman wasn't at the restaurant or nearby businesses.

The break in the case which led to Preshaw's arrest came soon after 9 p.m., when a caller said a woman was "acting strangely" at Mile 309; she was found there by a trooper.

"Although the female identified herself as Mary Brown she could not provide a date of birth matching a Mary Brown from Alaska," troopers wrote. "[The trooper] eventually asked if she was Lindsey Preshaw and the female admitted that was her name."

Preshaw was taken to the Fairbanks trooper post, where she was questioned and her clothes were seized. Troopers said her jackets and snow pants were "covered in fresh blood," and that her shoes matched footprints found at the stabbing scene and the abandoned Ridgeline; a left winter glove seized from her matched one left at the stabbing.

Fairbanks police had said Wednesday that Preshaw was one of two people investigators wished to speak with in a Tuesday homicide case. John "Jack" Thomas Preshaw, 43, died after he was found unconscious and bleeding Tuesday morning at a South Cushman Street home.

“Per the Fairbanks Police Department, FPD considers [Lindsey] Preshaw the primary suspect in the death of Jack Preshaw and are not currently looking for additional suspects in this case,” troopers wrote.

FPD Deputy Chief Dan Welborn said in an email Thursday afternoon that the Preshaws had been a couple.

"Lindsey and John were half siblings and then started a romance," Welborn wrote in an email. "It's complicated to us as well."

Welborn said police had spoken with another person of interest in Tuesday's death, Simeon Kittick, who isn't currently considered a suspect. Welborn wasn't able to identify any links between John Preshaw's death and the Monday death of a woman at the Alaska Motel on South Cushman, following a fight with another woman, beyond "the proximity to one another."

Anyone with information on the case is asked to contact Fairbanks police Detective Alana Malloy at 907-450-6557 or by email at amalloy@fairbanks.us.

Editor's note: Statements from Alaska State Troopers and Fairbanks police Thursday misspelled Lindsey Preshaw's first name.