An Anchorage woman, who is still missing thousands of dollars in clothing and jewelry following a burglary last week, says she has been reunited with one item that was stolen: a zebra mount. 

Stacy Scott said she came home Friday afternoon to find her home had been ransacked.

The thief entered through the back door she thought was locked. The suspect rifled through Scott’s closet, loaded up bags with stolen goods and her late father’s prescription painkillers and even stopped in the kitchen to make a snack.

Went into the freezer and pulled out the ice cream, definitely made herself at home,” Scott said.

Scott purchased a security system called "The Ring" at Costco and installed it a few years ago. The thief’s several trips in and out of the house were caught on camera.

“Being so brazen to come into someone's home, make yourself comfortable and literally leave by calling a cab and putting a zebra in the back,” Scott said.

The zebra she named "George," was a staple of her living room. It’s a head mount she got from a friend while working at a downtown boutique.

“I thought he'd be a great addition to my home -- just something fun and whimsical. I was about to dress him up for Christmas actually,” Scott said.

Her security video clearly shows a woman taking George from the home and loading him into the trunk of the cab.

Scott gave the video to police who were able to find and arrest 38-year-old Desiree Fuller at the Travel Inn on Gambell.

“If a suspect leaves in a vehicle, we're going to do everything we can to track that down,” said APD spokesperson Renee Oistad. “In the case of a People Mover bus or a cab company we can call dispatches of those companies and find out where they picked people up, where they dropped them off.”

Police charged Fuller with felony burglary and theft. Court records show Fuller was released on a $1,000 bond on Saturday.

Scott said she’s disheartened by the whole ordeal, one that happened in broad daylight in a busy downtown neighborhood.

“It's not about George and all my stuff, it's the brazenness of the whole thing. It's the holidays and people are giving. I certainly would have helped out in some way. You didn't have to do what you did,” Scott said.

Police have recovered some of her items but George the Zebra remained at large Monday-- until the suspect's getaway cab driver saw this story and called police because he had the zebra in his trunk.

Officers called Scott Tuesday morning saying Fuller took the cab to the motel, but didn't have money to pay, so the driver offered her money and took the zebra head as collateral.

"Desiree had a hotel room for the evening, the zebra head traveled around Anchorage in the back of the taxi cab. The taxi cab driver saw the news about the zebra and then called APD and now he's home," Scott said.

Police say Fuller was found in the hotel room with Scott's stolen items. Everything in the room was recovered and has since been taken in as evidence.

George and Scott's tale has a happy ending, as they're now reunited for the holidays. 

Copyright 2017 KTVA. All rights reserved.

This story was submitted as a news tip via #ShareIt11! Have a story idea? Share it with KTVA by emailing!