The Mountain Village man accused of killing his 22-year-old girlfriend at his home last week said he beat her to death, according to charging documents.

Alaska State Troopers said Alexie Walters Jr., 34, was held on charges of second-degree murder, assault and evidence tampering following the death of Gertrude Queenie. Walters had originally secured himself inside overnight Wednesday according to troopers, who said he had fired a shotgun blast from the front door when village police officers arrived.

A criminal complaint in the case, written by troopers Sgt. Kevin Yancey, said Walters told troopers he had been drinking with Queenie at a friend’s home Wednesday. During the night, he said, he became enraged when he saw Queenie having sex with his friend. He didn’t remember how he had gotten home.

Walters’ mother, who was at his home with his 12-year-old daughter, said Walters had arrived dragging and beating Queenie. The mother and daughter tried to leave, she told troopers, but Walters forced them back inside. At one point, Walters grabbed his daughter by the hair and threatened to kill her.

The mother said she also saw Walters striking Queenie, at which point the mother and daughter were able to leave.

Troopers said last week that the incident was first reported at about 10:20 p.m. Wednesday. The village police who initially tried to respond requested backup after the shotgun blast; troopers arrived from St. Mary’s at about 12:30 a.m. Thursday.

Efforts by troopers to contact Walters were initially unsuccessful, but Yancey wrote that he called troopers at 2:12 a.m. Thursday. During that call, Walters yelled “something about performing CPR on Queenie” and added, “I think she is gone.”

Soon afterward, Walters was able to escape the home. He surrendered himself Thursday afternoon at the public safety building in Mountain Village.

Medics found Queenie not breathing in one of the home’s bedrooms and couldn’t resuscitate her. She had suffered so many blows, including some apparently delivered with a nearby broom handle, that Yancey said “it was not possible to determine which one had specifically caused her death.”

Yancey said that during Walters’ interview with investigators, he admitted to beating Queenie as well as trying to clean up the crime scene.

“Alexie stated, ‘I was the only one there, I did that, I killed her,’” Yancey wrote.

Court records show Walters was arraigned Friday in Emmonak court. He has a lengthy criminal record, including felony convictions for sexual abuse of a minor in 2002 and third-degree assault in 2011.

Walters remained in custody Tuesday at the Yukon-Kuskokwim Correctional Center.