Police affidavits reveal the events leading up to an attack on 17-year-old Conor Lally and 19-year-old Caia Delavergne at a downtown Anchorage residence Friday night.

Christian Beier, 21, was arraigned in court Sunday for allegedly shooting the pair. He was arrested just before 1 p.m. on Saturday, after an hours-long manhunt in the Mountain View area.

Court records show the shooting was first reported around 7:11 p.m. by a man who found Delavergne walking down N Street with a towel wrapped around her head, bleeding.

When police responded to the scene, she pointed out a white house on the corner of N Street and Sixth Avenue where the shooting took place. She said someone, later identified as Beier, had shown up with a gun, but she didn’t think she’d been shot, just hit in the head with the gun. She was then transported to a nearby hospital for what police determined to be a gunshot wound to the head.

Before police could get inside the home, the front door opened and Lally came out and collapsed on the front porch, “covered in blood,” court records stated. No one else was inside, but several shell casings were found in the living room and in an upstairs bedroom. Officers also noted “several areas of blood” in the home.

Lally was also transported to the hospital, where he underwent surgery for his injuries, according to police.

Police spoke again with Delavergne, who said Beier had been at the house all day before Lally asked him to leave. She stated she was in a dating relationship with Lally, but “lately [Beier] had been hitting on her.”

Delavergne said she was upstairs with Lally when Beier attempted to get into the residence. Lally went downstairs and she “heard some banging and then two shots,” according to a police affidavit.

“The next thing she knew [Beier] was up stairs and looking at her,” the affidavit said.

She told police she jumped out of an upstairs window to get away. Police found a window screen on the ground under a second floor window.

Hours later, Beier allegedly posted about the incident, saying Lally “got what he deserved.”

christian beier facebook comment


Former Anchorage police detective Glen Klinkhart said the post wouldn’t necessarily be considered a confession in court.

“In order for it to become evidence, it needs to get its way into court,” he said. “In order to get into court, there is still some hoops that have to be kind of jumped through in order to show the veracity of it, show where did it come from, who actually posted it, the time, the date, those sort of things. And that actually, for something like this is, going to take a lot of work.”

He said most cases don’t solely rely on what he called “CSI evidence,” but consider things like witness testimony. He noted that in some cases, the suspect just wants to be heard and will either tell police what happened or make a similar public statement like Beier’s.

“It’s just that in this day and age, it seems like the social media is where young people gravitate to,” he explained, noting many don’t consider how far-reaching their posts can be. “It’s become the place, it’s become the thing, rather than a video entry or in your diary. That seems to be the place people don’t even think about what it is, what it means, and the ramifications of sending that stuff out there.”

Beier was charged with two counts of first-degree attempted murder, two counts first-degree assault, and a single count each of first-degree burglary and fourth-degree misconduct involving a weapon. The judge convening over Beier’s pre-indictment hearing entered pleas of “not guilty” for Beier, who did not have a lawyer. Beier was scheduled to appear in court again on Monday morning.

If convicted, Beier faces a maximum prison sentence of 99 years.

KTVA 11’s Sierra Starks, Lauren Maxwell and Shannon Kemp contributed to this report.