Last updated Mon. Feb. 7, 4:45 p.m.

The Washington man accused of killing his coworker in Kodiak told police he shot him in self defense.

Kodiak police received a 911 call shortly before 1 a.m. Sunday from a friend of the victim, 25-year-old Welton Daniel Albers, of Texas, saying he’d been shot several times on the F/V Katherine, which was docked. Soon after that, as police were heading to the scene, another call was made to 911, this time someone saying they had killed “Dan,” the victim, court records show.

The second caller, later identified as 28-year-old Matt Bowe, stayed on the phone with 911 dispatchers until police arrived at the vessel, at which time he surrendered per the instructions of the dispatchers. Two men and a woman were also found on board and were questioned.

The witnesses told police Albers had been arguing with Bowe through the door to the boat’s bunkhouse. Bowe had locked himself in and Albers was trying to get in to get some of his personal items, according to court records. At some point, Albers managed to get the door open by “carding it,” and all three witnesses said that was when Bowe fired at him.

Kodiak fire personnel rushed Albers to the Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 1:25 a.m. Four shots appeared to have been fired through his chest, exiting his back, and another through his left arm.

Police found an AR-15 rifle in the galley of the boat, located next to the bunkhouse, and several spent .223 shells. One round was left in the chamber of the gun. Another gun, a 12 gauge shotgun, was found unloaded on the back deck of the boat.

Police read Bowe his Miranda rights at the scene and again at the police station before he was interviewed. Police wrote in an affidavit that “the strong odor of consumed alcoholic beverages” emanated from him. He admitted to have been drinking throughout the day, but also claimed that the victim had come back to the boat after drinking as well.

“[Bowe] stated the victim kicked in the bunkroom door during an argument and kicked [him] in the face as he was lying on his bunk,” police wrote, adding Bowe claimed he believed Albers was going to continue beating him.

When questioned about where the AR-15 came from, he said it and the other gun found were usually kept in the wheel house of the boat, but did not explain why he had it in the room with him. The owner of the boat was later questioned and stated both guns were kept in a gun case and Bowe had no reason to have the gun.

Police received a warrant to search Bowe and perform gunshot residue and blood tests. A breath test revealed a blood-alcohol content level of .264 — more than three times the legal limit — nearly three hours after the shooting. They also documented unspecified injuries.

Original story

The Kodiak Police Department is investigating a homicide that took place early Sunday morning.

KPD was called to the scene of a shooting in Saint Herman Harbor shortly before 1 a.m., according to a statement from police. Responding officers found a 28-year-old man “bleeding from several gunshot wounds,” police said.

The victim was taken to Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center and declared dead. His name will not be released until his next of kin can be notified.

Several witnesses were also at the scene, along with 28-year-old Matt Bowe. Bowe, who is from Washington, was arrested and charged with first-degree murder, police reported.

This is a developing story, please check back for updates.