Updated at 10:20 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 24

A man who barricaded himself inside a home in the Campbell Park neighborhood Thursday morning surrendered to police and was placed into custody.

“Around 3:00 p.m. officers breached the door of the residence and made verbal commands for the suspect to come out. The suspect surrendered peacefully and no injuries were sustained in the standoff,” police wrote in a release Thursday afternoon.

Joseph Szajkowski, 29, was taken to the Anchorage jail and faces kidnapping and assault charges, according to police. He was arraigned on Friday on only third- and fourth-degree assault charges, charging documents from the District Attorney’s office show.

Online court records show he is being held at the Anchorage Correctional Complex without bail.

Original Story

Police in Anchorage say officers are dealing with not only one standoff Thursday, but two, as another man has barricaded himself inside a home in the Campbell Park neighborhood.

As of 2:10 p.m., Anchorage Police Department (APD) officers continue to negotiate with the man, who is barricaded inside a home at the 2900 block of Misty Springs Court.

An afternoon release from police stated homes in the area have been evacuated and officers will assist residents and school children to homes near the barricaded subject. However, APD asks that people avoid the area if possible.

Less than 30 minutes later, SWAT teams broke down the door to the home.


According to an APD release from Thursday morning, a woman called police around 3:30 a.m. Thursday to report that her adult daughter had been assaulted and threatened by her significant other. She told APD the man had weapons inside of a residence on the 2900 block of Misty Springs Court.

Police stated the suspect wouldn’t let the daughter leave the home before officers were called Thursday morning, though she was later able to make it out of the home.

Officers responded to the home, according to the release, and have been unable to make contact with the man. Police say he barricaded himself inside and, “is believed to be armed with firearms and may be under the influence of drugs.”

KTVA is on scene, where police tried to contact the man using a megaphone Thursday morning, asking him to call a phone number they provided.

Spring Hill Elementary School was on “stay-put” mode for a matter of minutes just before 11 a.m., according to Anchorage School District spokesperson Heidi Embley. All schools in the district were operating normally by 11:10 a.m.

Police said they have an arrest warrant for the man, which includes two charges of assault and kidnapping. APD officers have secured the area and are working to get the man to surrender without incident.

Further investigation found that the man had assaulted the woman a few days earlier, APD stated.

This is a developing story; please check back and watch KTVA this evening for updates.

KTVA’s Bonney Bowman contributed to this report.