Last updated at 3:20 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 29

The Fairbanks Police Department says Sgt. Allen Brandt died Friday, after complications from a surgical procedure. The department spoke only briefly, but thanked the community for its continued support.

A vigil to honor Brandt was scheduled for 8:30 p.m. Friday at the Fairbanks Police Department, located at 911 Cushman St. Acting Police Chief Brad Johnson and newly elect Fairbanks Mayor Jim Matherly spoke before a large crowd that gathered.

“He spoke to us about being united, about what it was like to be a police officer, but this man was so selfless he actually said other cops have actually done more than he has done,” Matherly said. “He was the one that suffered this horrific event, that he was thinking of his fellow officers.”

Matherly asked the community to provide strength and prayer to Brandt’s wife, Natasha, and their four children.

In Anchorage, roughly 40 police vehicles with the Anchorage Police Department escorted Brandt’s body to the State Medical Examiner’s Office, where patrol officers and the APD honor guard are standing watch over him until he goes home to Fairbanks, according to Chief Chris Tolley.

“Officers have a heart of service and a heart of supporting the community,” Tolley said when asked about how Brandt’s death was affecting Anchorage police. “With that comes a heart for one another. We really hurt when something like this happens, no matter if it’s in the Anchorage Police Department or in any of the other police departments. Particularly when it’s so close to Anchorage.”

On Friday, Gov. Bill Walker ordered all Alaska flags to be lowered for a week in honor of Brandt.

“Byron [Mallott], Donna, and I extend our deepest condolences to the family of Sgt. Brandt, the Fairbanks Police Department, and the entire Fairbanks community,” Walker said in a statement Saturday. “This tragedy is a stark reminder of the incredible sacrifice and burden members of law enforcement bear each day to keep us safe. Our thoughts and prayers are with Sgt. Brandt’s loved ones and the people of Fairbanks tonight.”

Original story:

The Fairbanks Police Department announced Friday that Sgt. Allen Brandt, who was shot multiple times in an altercation with a suspect Oct. 16, has been hospitalized with complications following the scheduled eye surgery Thursday in Anchorage.

Sgt. Allen Brandt

According to the department, Brandt is currently sedated and receiving treatment.

“Out of respect to the Brandt family we are not releasing further information at this time,” FPD spokesperson Yumi McCulloch wrote in the emailed release.

This is a developing story; please check back for updates.