There’s a chill in the air, but Alaska TravelGram’s Scott McMurren says it’s not too late to get out and enjoy the Last Frontier before the snow flies.
First, there’s the Golden Circle Tour from Juneau
- Take the ferry from Juneau to Auke Bay.
- Travel through the Lynn Canal to Skagway.
- Board the White Pass Railroad.
- Travel to Whitehorse.
- Head to Haines Junction and back to Juneau.
“I just couldn’t stop pulling over and taking pictures,” McMurren said of the drive to Whitehorse.
He also recommends what he calls the Golden Circle Tour of the Denali Highway.
- Drive north from Anchorage to Talkeetna.
- Travel from the McKinley Princess Lodge to Cantwell.
- Turn right and stay at Tangle Lake, or proceed north to Black Rapids.
- Return to Anchorage from Glennallen.
The fall colors along the highway are “just stunning,” McMurren said.
Finally, he said Alaskans should also experience a fall trip to Kennecott.
- Drive from Anchorage to Glennallen.
- Stay at the Copper River Princess Lodge or travel on to Chitina.
- Visit Kennecott Mines in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park.
- Alternatively, catch a plane to McCarthy.
- From Valdez, take the ferry to Whittier and then return to Anchorage.