Man critically injured in Karluk Manor fire
A man was severely burned early Tuesday during a fire at Anchorage’s Karluk Manor, according to firefighters and staff at a Seattle hospital to which he was medevaced.
Erich Scheunemann, the Anchorage Fire Department’s deputy chief, said crews were called to RurAL CAP’s housing facility for the homeless at about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday. Staff at Karluk Manor had already removed the man from a room at the manor, which suffered only damage to its furniture.
“The fire was out on arrival,” Scheunemann said. “There was one patient transported to a local medical facility for treatment.”
Nursing staff at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle said the man reportedly fell asleep while smoking a cigarette, which ignited his clothes. Scheunemann said AFD’s fire investigator couldn’t confirm that Thursday.
The man was initially treated at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Harborview staff said, before being flown to the Seattle hospital's burn unit. He was in critical condition Thursday afternoon.
Copyright 2018 KTVA. All rights reserved.