JBER receives bomb threat; no reported link to Pence visit
Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson officials are investigating a bomb threat made against the base last weekend, but say it is not expected to affect preparations for Vice President Mike Pence’s visit Monday evening.
JBER spokeswoman Keisha Lafayette said no actual bomb had been found as base personnel responded to the threat.
“The bomb threat came in over the weekend,” Lafayette said. “It affected the National Guard building, which is about 30 minutes away from the rest of the base.”
The building was swept for any suspicious items Monday afternoon, Lafayette said. Further details on when during the weekend the threat came in, or what it said, weren't immediately available.
Officials don’t believe the threat had any link to Pence’s JBER stopover on his 2018 Winter Olympics trip, as he leads the U.S. delegation to Pyeongchang, South Korea.
Copyright 2018 KTVA. All rights reserved.