A Canadian couple's beach vacation to the Dominican Republic quickly turned into a traveler's nightmare. The pair developed painful blisters and swelling in their feet that they later learned were the result of hookworms.

Katie Stephens, 22, and Eddie Zytner, 25, noticed their feet were itchy during their stay at the IFA Villas Bavaro Resort in Punta Cana earlier this month but they thought they'd been bitten by harmless bugs.

"For a lot of our trip, we found that we were scratching our feet quite a bit," Zytner told CTV News. "Sand fleas we had heard about so we kind of assumed it was that at first."

But when they returned home, they noticed their feet beginning to swell. After several doctors appointments, they were diagnosed with larva migrans, commonly known as hookworms.

"My boyfriend and I recently got back from Punta Cana to discover that we both have larva migrans, in other terms worms in our feet," Stephens wrote in a Facebook post that also included some gruesome photos of the infected feet.

User: Katie To: link

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, hookworms are parasites that can penetrate the skin of humans. Hookworm infection is transmitted primarily by walking barefoot on contaminated soil.

Continue reading at CBSNews.com.


Anchorage woman opens first lice clinic in the state 

Inside the 'unblinking eye' tasked with defending America in space 

This NASA job involves defending Earth from aliens