The parents of a woman killed on New Year’s Day in Wasilla say they’re grateful for all the community support they’ve received since their daughter’s death.

Anthony Smith, 38, is accused of murdering his wife, 37-year-old Amy Smith, at their Wasilla home. He was formally arraigned Wednesday on charges of first-degree and second-degree murder and assault.

His attorney entered not-guilty pleas on all counts.

Alaska State Troopers say Amy called 911 for help at about 2:30 a.m. on January 1.  She told troopers she didn’t want her husband arrested at the time, but that she was afraid of him.

Troopers came back around 5 a.m. after Anthony called to say his wife wasn’t breathing. Charging documents say an autopsy shows she was strangled to death.

Amy’s parents, Eddie and Chris Moore, have been to both of Anthony's court appearances. Eddie said about 65 people showed up for a memorial the family held last Saturday. 

“Probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done was officiate my own daughter’s memorial,” Eddie said.

The Moores say Amy made friends wherever she went, and many of those people turned out to show their love and support.

“Time does heal. It’s slow. With all the friends and support and people who have called in and encouraged us, I think we’re healing faster than most,” Eddie said.

Since Amy's death, troopers have been investigating their own response to the case.

On New Year’s Eve, several hours before Amy’s call for help, troopers pulled Anthony over under the suspicion of impaired driving. Department of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan said Anthony successfully completed a field sobriety test, but troopers were still concerned about his level of impairment and gave him a ride home.

“Such practices are discretionary and within our policy," Monegan said in a written statement.

AST spokesperson Megan Peters said right now there is no “additional information to provide regarding the criminal case nor regarding our review of the incident as a whole.”

Anthony will be back in court for a pretrial conference on February 22 at 2:30. His bail was previously set at $250,000, with a court-approved third-party custodian required for his release.

Copyright 2018 KTVA. All rights reserved.


AST gave suspect a ride home hours before murder

Troopers investigate response to deadly domestic violence call

Victim's family says couple had history of abuse