Dunleavy resignation attracts 11 Republican contenders
Eleven Republicans are now applying to replace state senator Mike Dunleavy (R-Wasilla) ahead of the 2018 legislative session.
Last week, Dunleavy announced he's resigning to focus on his campaign for governor. The republican party then launched a call for a replacement.
On Sunday evening, Alaska GOP Chairman Tuckerman Babcock confirmed a preliminary list for the seat, which encompasses House Districts 9 and 10.
- Randall Kowalke -- Mat-Su Borough Assembly member, House District 10
- Tom Braund -- Retired, Sutton, House District 9
- Bob Bickel -- Realtor, House District 9
- Rep. George Rauscher -- House District 9
- Todd Smolden -- Teacher, House District 10
- Doyle Holmes -- Business owner, House District 10
- Mike Shower -- Pilot, House District 10
- Thomas Arts -- School custodian, HouseDistrict 9
- Vicki Wallner -- “Stop Valley Thieves” Facebook group co-director, House District 9
- Eddie Grasser -- Alaska Safari Club and NRA
- Jim Colver -- former House District 9 representative, unseated by Rauscher in 2016 primary election.
The Alaska Republican party will select three names to present to Gov. Bill Walker, who has 30 days from Dunleavy's resignation to appoint a replacement.
Copyright 2018 KTVA. All rights reserved.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: