Anchorage Ballet founder on leave amid sexual-assault investigations
The founder of the Anchorage Classical Ballet Academy has been placed on administrative leave, the latest repercussion against him after allegations of sexual abuse and misconduct from two former students.
The academy’s board of directors announced its decision Friday regarding artistic director Michaelangelo Canale in an email to members of the ACBA community, saying it was effective “until the board investigation is complete.”
“The Board of Directors will continue to be advised by Michelangelo on business matters in order (to) keep the Ballet operating smoothly,” the statement said.
Canale, 50, is also being investigated by Anchorage police, who have asked any other potential victims to come forward after 27-year-old Alex Icet and 19-year-old Allison Ackles spoke with KTVA. Icet said Canale sexually assaulted her after a performance of “The Nutcracker” last month, and Ackles described systematic sexual misconduct at the ballet at Canale’s hands.
Canale is also no longer working at the Dancers Workshop in Wasilla, which state business records say he owns.
According to Friday’s email from ACBA, advanced classical ballet classes previously taught by Canale will be conducted by ballet master Joseph Schnell.
The email invites “ACBA family” to the board’s next meeting, set for Jan. 14 at 1 p.m. at the Anchorage Ballet at 501 W. International Airport Road.
KTVA has sought comment from the email’s author, ACBA board president Edward Barrington.
Gina Romero contributed information to this story.
Copyright 2018 KTVA. All rights reserved.