Workforce Wednesday: Culinary Arts
On this week's Workforce Wednesday, we take a look at the field of Culinary arts and how you can get the training you need to start your career.
To be successful in the culinary industry, you need to have a strong work ethic, willingness to learn and punctuality. You will of course also need training, which you can get from the Alaska Job Corps center in Palmer, as well as AVTEC, UAA, Community & Technical College (AAS Culinary Arts, BS Hospitality & Restaurant Management) and UAF, Community & Technical College (AAS Culinary Arts).
Places looking to hire locally are numerous, but here are a few in Alaska:
- NANA Services, Anchorage, Kotzebue
- NANA Regional Corp, Anchorage
- Bon Appetit Management, Fairbanks
- Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services, Fairbanks
- Aramark, JBER
- Sullivan's Steak House, Anchorage
- Providence Health and Services, Anchorage
- Yukon Kuskokwim Health Corp, Bethel
- Bartlett Regional Hospital, Juneau
- Poached, Healy
- Arctic Catering, Bethel, Nuiqsut, Anchor Point
- Stonebridge Companies, Anchorage
- Sodexo, Kotzebue
- Locally Grown Proerties LLC, Anchorage
- FRHI Hotels and Resorts, Lake Louise
- The Lakefront, Anchorage
Pay can vary in the culinary industry. Those going into it should expect to make around $20,00 to $80,000 depending on experience.