Man arrested after McDonald’s drive-thru visit ends in gunfire
A fast-food order in Midtown became a criminal case early Saturday, with police later taking a drive-thru customer into custody after he allegedly fired on the restaurant.
The suspect -- 19-year-old Zx Dio Abobon -- surrendered to patrol officers after learning he was being sought in the incident, police spokesman MJ Thim said in an update Saturday night. An initial call reporting the gunfire came in just before 1:15 a.m. from the McDonald’s at Arctic and Northern Lights boulevards.
Employees and witnesses told police the suspect was apparently “disgruntled” before he placed his order, although it wasn’t clear what upset him.
“He was not cooperative with the employee when it came to payment,” Thim said. “When he drove forward to get his order he pulled his gun, fired once at the building and drove off.”
Thim didn't have word on anything Abobon might have said regarding the encounter.
It wasn’t clear whether the round fired had been aimed at the drive-thru window or any of the employees, but Thim said police did find “evidence of a bullet strike” on an exterior wall.
Abobon was taken to the Anchorage Jail, where he was held on charges including second-degree assault.
Copyright 2017 KTVA. All rights reserved.