1 dead in apparent Fairbanks carbon monoxide poisoning
A Fairbanks man died at his home early Tuesday, in what Alaska State Troopers say was reported as a case of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Fairbanks Police Department dispatchers first received a report that 49-year-old Christopher Alexander wasn’t breathing at his Thoreau Drive home at his about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday, according to an online dispatch.
“Medics responded to the scene and were unable to revive Christopher and he was pronounced deceased at the scene,” troopers wrote. “Carbon monoxide was detected in the residence.”
Exact levels of CO detected in the home weren't available Wednesday morning, troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters said in an email, but investigators found a gas generator that was partially inside and partially outside the residence.
"The gas generator is believed to be the source of the CO," Peters wrote.
No foul play is suspected, troopers said, and Alexander’s next of kin have been notified.
The state medical examiner’s office will conduct an autopsy on Alexander’s body.
Alexander’s death follows other residential deaths in Alaska this year linked to carbon monoxide, an odorless gas emitted by exhaust systems that can cause symptoms ranging from nausea to death over time.
Trevor Noble, 16, was fatally poisoned by CO at a south Anchorage home in February, and a 10-year-old boy died in August after a CO incident at a Wasilla residence.
Copyright 2017 KTVA. All rights reserved.