Why it's dangerous to leave a plastic water bottle in your car
While working outside in blistering 100-degree heat in Boise, Idaho, Dioni Amuchastegui unknowingly made a dangerous mistake — he left bottled water in the front seat of his truck.
Amuchastegui had no idea a small plastic water bottle had the potential to start a fire. But that's exactly what happened.
"I was taking an early lunch, sitting in the truck, I happened to notice some smoke out of the corner of my eye," Amuchastegui explained. "I looked over and realized light was being refracted from a water bottle and was starting to catch the seat on fire."
Amuchastegui, a battery technician with Idaho Power, was quick to share his story as a warning to others.
"A lot of people on his team thought he was making it up," Melissa Thom, a corporate communications specialist for Idaho Power, told CBS News. "Everybody was shocked."
But with supervision from the company's safety director, Amuchastegui decided to re-create the alarming incident in a minute-long video that was posted on the company's Facebook page early last month.
The video showed smoke rising shortly after a water bottle was placed in direct sunlight on the front seat of Amuchastegui's car, leaving two small burn marks on the leather.
"A round plastic bottle filled with clear water can act as a lens that concentrates the sun's energy on one point," Amuchastegui explained.