An Anchorage firefighter at the scene of a small grass fire near the Glenn Highway Sunday told KTVA it may have been started by a cigarette butt thrown out of a passing vehicle.


The fire was first reported to the fire department at 2:25 p.m., according to fire dispatchers. The fire was out less than 20 minutes after two units arrived on scene, and spanned an area of 20 feet by 20 feet.


The firefighter who spoke to KTVA said the area where the fire ignited was close to the roadway of the on-ramp at Bragaw Street. A witness at the scene, who asked to remain anonymous, told KTVA she called 911 immediately after she saw the smoke from the fire, and that several people unsuccessfully tried to stamp it out before it got bigger.


Anchorage fire officials are encouraging Alaskans who see smoke or flames or a potentially illegal burn to call 911 immediately. Current fire conditions in southcentral Alaska are high due to low rain fall and warm weather.


To check burn bans in your area, click here.


The post Firefighter: Grass fire at Glenn Highway ramp may have been started by cigarette appeared first on KTVA 11.