Three U.S. soldiers were killed when an Afghan army soldier opened fire on them following an operation in eastern Afghanistan, a U.S. official confirms to CBS News.


Attahullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the governor in Nangarhar province, said earlier Saturday that two U.S. soldiers had been killed and two others wounded in the attack. One of those wounded later died of injuries sustained in the attack, a U.S. official tells CBS News.


Khogyani said the Afghan soldier was a commando and was killed after the attack. An Afghan source who declined to be named tells CBS News the gunman was the commander of an 11-soldier unit.


In a statement, the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, claiming the soldier was a Taliban infiltrator. The group named the attacker as Obaidullah from Kunar province, releasing a photo purporting to be him.


The incident occurred as U.S. and Afghan forces returned from a joint operation, the Afghan source said. The area has been cordoned off by U.S. troops.


A U.S. official says it is unclear if the deaths were due to friendly fire.


Read more at CBSNews.com.


The post 3 U.S. soldiers killed in attack by Afghan soldier, official says appeared first on KTVA 11.