Alaska Search and Rescue Dog fatally poisoned by antifreeze
Anchorage police say a dog has died after it was poisoned by antifreeze.
Anchorage Animal Care and Control notified the Anchorage Police Department Thursday that a dog at a residence on the 4700 block of Grumman Street may have been poisoned.
Little Su was a 5-year-old female English shepherd and also an Alaska Search and Rescue Dog (ASARD) for three years. The dog’s owner said Little Su became sick on Jan. 7 and was taken to the veterinarian.
“A sample of fluid from the dog confirmed that the dog had consumed antifreeze,” a statement from APD says.
Little Su’s owner found a container near the property containing “a mixture of chicken and antifreeze,” police say.
It was reported that Little Su passed away Thursday night, APD says.
Based in Anchorage, ASARD is a nonprofit, volunteer emergency service unit, whose dogs and handlers assists search-and-rescue operations.
Police are encouraging anyone with information on this case to call APD at 786-8900 or, to report a crime tip anonymously, call Crime Stoppers at 561-STOP.
The post Alaska Search and Rescue Dog fatally poisoned by antifreeze appeared first on KTVA 11.