Updated at 6:30 p.m. on Thurs, May 12, 2016

A 37-year-old man has been charged with murder for the death of his alleged girlfriend, according to the Anchorage Police Department.

Wednesday, APD said they were called to a Mountain View homeless camp after a man told them his girlfriend was unconscious and not breathing.

The woman, identified Thursday by police as 48-year-old Susan Ragan, was taken to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead.

In an updated release early-Thursday afternoon police said Jeffrey McCracken, Ragan’s boyfriend, was responsible for her death.

“A preliminary investigation found that McCracken used physical force to take Ragan’s life,” APD wrote.

According to charging documents, hospital staff also found signs that she had been strangled, including blood in her ears and a bruise on her right ear.

McCracken first told police that he had only known Ragan for a month, according to the charging documents, and that the two had done meth before having “consensual sex.” He then claimed that he walked to a gas station and returned to find Ragan not breathing.

“Ultimately, McCracken admitted that he didn’t go to the gas station after having sex. He told officers that Ragan was unresponsive after he finished having sex with her. McCraken said he panicked and put two pairs of pants on Ragan and then went to call 911,” police wrote.

Both Ragan and McCracken were homeless, police said. Ragan’s younger brother, Jack Ragan, claims that she was not dating the man police say is responsible for her death, and that she had a fiance and six children whom she loved dearly.

“I don’t believe that she was his girlfriend. I think you say and do things to be in certain situations, and if she needed to be safe in a tent … I don’t know. But I really believe that she loved her fiance and she loved her family and she loved her children,” said the the younger Ragan. “I just want to say I love you Renee.”

McCraken told police that he had known Ragan for a month, and that she had only been staying with him for three days.

He’s been charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter. His bail was initially set at $250,000, plus a third-party custodian.

KTVA’s Megan Edge and Shannon Ballard contributed reporting.