AFD rescues dog from house fire Wednesday morning
Last updated at 3:52 p.m. on Wednesday, July 20
The Anchorage Fire Department saved a dog from a burning home Wednesday morning.
The fire on Linden Drive off of Raspberry Road was discovered shortly before 10 a.m. when a smoke alarm went off, alerting the homeowner, according to AFD Capt. Mark Stephens. The owner safely escaped before fire crews arrived, but a dog remained in the home, hiding under a bed for around 10 minutes while the house burned until a firefighter was able to rescue it.
“Nothing’s worse than finding someone’s dead dog or cat,” Stephens said. “So the fact that we were able to find the dog so late in the incident is amazing. It made me feel great when I saw that dog being carried out by a crew. We had checked that bedroom probably four times for that dog and it was just hidden in a really tight place and there was smoke down to the ground, so the fact the dog is even alive is pretty darn lucky.”
Stephens said it was “super important” to note the homeowner had multiple working smoke detectors in her home.
“The smoke detectors woke her up, and where the fire was, if she didn’t have a working smoke detector, would’ve blocked her in the second floor of that house. She would’ve been trapped in that tiny room up above the garage with no way to get out,” he said. “And she would’ve had to either jump out a window or wait for us to get on location with ladders to get her out. In all likelihood, she wouldn’t have survived had she not had working smoke detectors in that house.”
The official cause has yet to be determined, but Stephens said it is thought to have been started by a bathroom ceiling fan.
“We go on numerous fires a year that are started with ceiling fans in bathrooms,” Stephens explained. “They get old, they collect a lot of lint and dust. They’re very rarely cleaned because owners don’t know how to use it and they just sit there and run and run and they get hot and tend to start fires.”
KTVA 11’s Heather Hintze and Jessica Stugelmayer contributed to this report.
Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly spelled Stephens’ name. This has been corrected.