Dimond Center mall temporarily evacuated for nearby gas leak
Last updated at 7:55 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 8
According to the Anchorage Fire Department, the leak has been fixed and people are allowed back in the mall.
A gas leak at a construction site next to the Dimond Center caused evacuations at the south Anchorage mall early Monday morning. Around 7 a.m. the Anchorage Fire Department began responding.
Anchorage fire chief Dennis LeBlanc said a construction crew working on the south side of the mall unintentionally cut into a gas line. LeBlanc explained that the gas went straight up and air handling units on the top of the Dimond Center then began pulling the gas in.
According to LeBlanc, the air handlers were shut down and the mall was evacuated.
Enstar is on scene and making efforts to clamp the leak, LeBlanc said.
No one was injured.
This is a developing story; check back for updates.
The post Dimond Center mall temporarily evacuated for nearby gas leak appeared first on KTVA 11.