Turkey fryer blamed for Colony Loop house fire
Slick, snowy roads made it difficult for emergency personnel to respond to a house fire Saturday.
Shortly before 2 p.m., the Anchorage Fire Department issued a statement that 15 units had been dispatched to a home on the 2400 block of Colony Loop, where the fire was reported.
According to firefighters at the scene, the fire’s origin was likely a turkey fryer that was left unattended. It was outside the house, but underneath an overhang, sending fire up the outside wall.
Firefighters said the fire did extensive damage to the home.
They also said the snow made getting to the fire tough.
“Slow going in an engine, in a fire truck, but we took our time getting here safely and were able to get a good stop on the fire,” said firefighter Dan Otis.
AFD wants to remind Alaskans using a turkey fryer to keep it out in open air and monitor it at all times.