The new department opened in 2010
KODIAK, Alaska (AP) – A part of Kodiak’s history is being demolished.
The Kodiak Daily Mirror (http://is.gd/iNsQZT) reports demolition work is underway on the old Kodiak Police Department building.
The city bought the building on Mill Bay Road in 1956, and it housed the police department, jail, courthouse and city offices.
Most of the items the police department wanted to save have been taken to the new location. Among those was the pole with a red light that was on top of the building.
Before the department had radios, police officers on patrol would keep an eye on the building. If the light was on, they knew to call in or go the station.
Officers would like to memorialize the pole in concrete in front of the new department that opened in 2010.
Information from: Kodiak (Alaska) Daily Mirror, http://www.kodiakdailymirror.com
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)