Home Experts: Your Experts
Pied Piper Pest Control
Hours of Operation
- Monday - Friday:9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- (8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. April-September)
Pest Control ServicePied Piper (a PARATEX affiliate) is the oldest pest control company in Alaska, established in 1965. Branches are conveniently located in Anchorage (serving Kenai to the MatSu and bush locations), Fairbanks (including Nenana, North Pole and the interior road system) and Juneau (serving Sitka, Ketchikan and Southeast). We are a full service company offering complete pest management service, retail items and even professional advice.
Homeowners, property managers, landlords (and tenants), and other business people have come to depend on us for insect, rodent and bird problems they have encountered. Whether it is mice or shrews getting into their restaurant or warehouse; cockroaches, earwigs, spiders or silverfish invading their home or apartment; or our newest threat - Bed Bugs - attacking their hotel, motel or hostel, they know we are there to help. We are also well-known for our ornamental tree & shrub division, combating Aphids, Spruce Bark Beetles, Leaf Rollers and other damaging insects. We also fumigate smaller items and can assist you with larger fumigation needs.
Our phone staff and service technicians are well trained to help you identify pests and recommend the best way to eliminate them. They are trained in methods such as traps and rodenticide for rodents; insecticide, traps, bait, and growth regulator etc for "bugs"; soil injection or foliar spray for your trees or shrubs.
We are especially proud of our recent affiliation with Bedbug Free, a science oriented method of control developed by Dr Richard Cooper and Dr Jeffrey White of Bed Bug Central. Using state-of-the-Art techniques including vacuums, steam, mattress (& box spring) encasements, heat treatments, and pesticide dusts and sprays, your Bed Bug problems CAN be resolved.
Call us anytime, we are here for YOU!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does Alaska have many pests?
- Actually, yes. Though not as many as elsewhere, we do have exterior pests such as Carpenter Ants, Earwigs, Sow Bugs, Beetles, Spiders, Shrews, Voles, Mice (even Rats in some localities) and Squirrels that invade structures. In addition we have Pantry Pests such as Larder and Saw Tooth Grain Beetles and Indian Meal Moths that come in with animal or human foods. We also get Cockroaches, Silverfish, even Bed Bugs. Sometimes birds such as Pigeons as well as Bats can be a problem in Alaska.
- Do you use green or low toxicity pesticides?
- We are firm believers in IPM techniques, including zero or limited amounts of pesticides, and the least toxic necessary to accomplish the task. Where we can, we have often recommended to callers that they tolerate the pest they are experiencing rather than treat, where this is a safer option. Are the pesticides we use “safe”? That is impossible to state emphatically. Obviously, anything that kills or mitigates a pest is not safe for that creature (hence “non-Toxic” is a misnomer). However, the amount of actual pesticide included in the products is quite low – in the 10ths to 100ths or less in many cases. This makes their risk to humans and non-target animals extremely low. We do take their usage very seriously, and address every client’s needs individually whenever possible.
- Do you guarantee your work?
- Yes we do. But please be aware that we can ONLY guarantee (different from warrantee) our WORK. The effectiveness of any materials used is up to the manufacturer, and the success of treatments performed can often depend more on customer cooperation and follow up. We also have no control over animal behavior or tolerances. Frankly, our favorite answer to this question is “Our Guarantee is provided by our decades of satisfied clients!” If our answer is too honest, we apologize.
- Are your “Licensed, Bonded and Insured”?
- Although this has become a bit of a cliché’, Pied Piper is licensed in Alaska and any local government that has a license or permit program. Our technicians are “Certified” by the Department of Environmental Conservation (ADEC), a requirement of industry professionals but surprisingly not of untrained persons such as landlords or other businesses (or their employees) even if they use pesticides. We are insured well above (4-5 times!) the Alaska minimums for Liability, as well as auto and workman’s compensation. As for bonding, we obtain that on a case by case basis where it is required. Most bonds are in fact performance bonds for large scale contracts. The need for “honesty bonds” has been largely abandoned since the courts offer remediation in the rare event that a dishonest act occurs. We “bond” our employees by being absolutely certain of their background and character before and after hire.
- Do you give free estimates?
- Yes – usually over the phone or via e-mail. There are relatively few times when a site visit is needed to quote you a price. However, certain information is needed, so we will need to ask a few questions.