Home Experts: Local News
Energy Programs From Alaska Housing Finance Corporatiion (AHFC)
Story Updated: Mar 15, 2011
Research, Information, Education, Workshops
- Cold Climate Housing Research Center - Alaska Housing Finance Corporation funds the Cold Climate Housing Research Center (located in Fairbanks) to meet the challenge of building energy efficient, safe, affordable homes in Alaska by providing applied research on housing across Alaska.
- Research Information Center - The Research Information Center (RIC) provides information and technical assistance for AHFC Energy Programs via the web, phone and visits. The RIC Library lends books, fact sheets, videos, reports, catalogs and other resources on northern building, innovative housing construction, energy efficiency, renewable energy and sustainable technology.
- Speakers Bureau - Alaska non-profit agencies may apply for funding for guest speakers on energy-efficiency, sustainability and renewable energy topics. Speaking events must be open to the general public.
- Speaker Request - Groups may request free presentations on AHFC Energy programs.
- Workshops - AHFC offers energy and weatherization workshops, classes and seminars for consumers, builders, energy raters, lenders, real estate professionals and others through our training partners. AHFC also offers seminars taught by energy program staff, such as the popular "Read Your Energy Rating" class.
Supplemental Housing Development Grant Program (SHG)
This grant provides funding to regional housing authorities to supplement housing projects that may include energy-efficient design features in homes.
To help lower home energy use, homeowners or renters who meet income guidelines may qualify to have their home weatherized. To apply, individuals should contact the weatherization service provider or regional housing authority. in their area. The weatherization provider will provide program services at no cost to qualified applicants.
Other Popular State and Federal Energy Programs:
- Alaska Energy Authority - Renewable energy & energy efficiency programs for Alaskan communities & facilities.
- Heating Assistance Program - Helps eligible Alaskans with heating bills.
- Federal Tax Credits - Energy efficiency & renewable energy products which can reduce your income tax.
- Tax Incentives Assistance Project
- Energy Star
- U.S. Department of Energy
For more information, please vist the AHFC energy page.