A long-missing plaque designating ancient hunting camps near Shaktoolik as a National Historic Landmark has been returned to the community on Alaska’s western coast.
Nome radio station KNOM reports (http://is.gd/AXrMKX) the historic camping ground was discovered in 1948. Artifacts from the site date back 5,000 years.
The site was called Iyatayet, and registered as a landmark 50 years ago. But years later, the plaque disappeared.
It was recently located in the National Park Service office in Fairbanks and has been returned to the Shaktoolik Native Corp.
It will be displayed at the school alongside items from the ancient campground recently returned by California State University, Monterey Bay.
A professor at Portland State University will return to the site next summer to document best ways to preserve what remains from erosion.
Information from: KNOM-AM, http://www.knom.org
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)