• Forecast
  • News Tip
  • Categories
Temperature Precipitation
Estimated read time
54s

Fumes force evacuation of downtown building

By KTVA CBS 11 News 3:10 PM July 4, 2014
ANCHORAGE –

A service cat alerted its owner and her neighbors to fumes seeping into their downtown homes Friday afternoon.

The fumes originated in the Arc of Anchorage’s art studio and gallery in the Loussac-Sogn building on D Street, which includes apartments.

“It smelled like toxic chemicals and my mouth was tingling and everything, so he alerted me and then we got everybody out of the building,” said Jo Snow while holding her service cat named Tinker.

After reports of a strong chemical odor started coming in, the Anchorage Fire Department evacuated the building and discovered the culprit was an improperly ventilated concrete floor that had been re-done.

“What they did was they sealed [the floor] and they locked it all up and eventually it made it though all three stories of the residential structure above it,” said Richard Minkler, AFD fire captain.

Most of the hazard was quickly mitigated, Minkler said, and firefighters set up fans to air out the space. No injuries were reported.

Anytime people are dealing with chemicals, Minkler recommends people read all labels and take the proper precautions.

Latest Stories