• Forecast
  • News Tip
  • Categories
Temperature Precipitation
Estimated read time
54s

Food left on stove sparks Sand Lake fire

By KTVA CBS 11 News 7:11 PM January 17, 2014

No one was was home when the fire started and no one was harmed, but firefighters said the residents won't be able to move back in because of the extensive damage.

Update

Food left on a stove is to blame for a blaze that damaged the home, according to investigators.

The fire started in the kitchen, firefighters said. The flames travelled up the vents, which caused electrical shorts in the attic — catching it on fire as well.

A neighbor called for help and crews got the blaze under control quickly, but narrow roads and snow banks added to the challenge, Anchorage Fire Department said.

No one was was home when the fire started and no one was harmed, but firefighters said the residents won’t be able to move back in because of the extensive damage.

Original story

ANCHORAGE – More than a dozen units were sent out to a Sand Lake house fire Friday night.

Around 6:15 p.m., 13 units went to 7063 Whitehall Street, a single-family home south of Raspberry Road and west of Jewel Lake Road.

Firefighters had the blaze under control around 6:50 p.m., AFD said.

No other details are available at this time.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 

 

Latest Stories