• Forecast
  • News Tip
  • Categories
Temperature Precipitation
Estimated read time
1m 37s

Cigarette blamed for East Anchorage fire

By Heather Hintze 6:55 PM June 12, 2014
ANCHORAGE –

Firefighters’ quick response prevented a home on Bolin Street from going up in flames Thursday afternoon.

Residents of New Hope, a transitional house for women, showed up to find the damage wasn’t as bad as they had initially thought.

“My heart was pounding,” said Andraya La Fleur, the residential manager of the home. “I was trying to get some answers whether it was a small kitchen fire or our whole house was engulfed.”

The Anchorage Fire Department said the preliminary cause of the fire appeared to be a cigarette butt left in a planter.

Anchorage firefighters have responded to more than a dozen cigarette-caused fires in just the past few months. They said it can be extremely dangerous to put cigarettes out in planters or trash cans because they become smoldering time bombs.

“It can be hours later when it ignites the actual container and work its way from the outside of the house into the house,” explained Captain Danny Costanios. “The problem with that is all your smoke detectors are inside of your house so a lot of times the fire has progressed really heavily and is pretty advanced.”

La Fleur said New Hope will look into who was responsible for leaving the butt there.

“I know a lot of fires get started that way and that’s why we don’t even allow cigarettes on the property so it’s unfortunate consequences when you break the rules,” she said.

The building has an automated alarm system that alerted firefighters. Costanios said residents are fortunate firefighters were alerted early and the fire didn’t start in the middle of the night.

The Red Cross is working with the women to find temporary housing until exposed wiring in the home can be fixed. La Fleur said she’s just counting her blessings there’s a home to come back to.

“We’ll make it through this. We’ve made it through a lot worse.” she said.

Latest Stories

  • News

    Illegal off-roading has hazardous consequences in Palmer Hay Flats

    by Heather Hintze on Feb 12, 22:06

      Don’t drive on the Palmer Hay Flats. That’s message from managers of the Palmer Hay Flats State Game Refuge after not one, but two vehicles have gone through thin ice this winter. Off-roading on the refuge is illegal without a permit. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game only issues permits to vehicles like […]

  • News

    Family of Barrow man killed by police officer considers legal help

    by Shannon Ballard on Feb 12, 21:21

    Family members are remembering volunteer fire chief Vincent Nageak III, who was killed in an officer-involved shooting early Wednesday morning. As they wait for further details about what lead to his death, they plan on hiring legal help to get the story straight. Nageak’s family spent Friday making funeral arrangements, sharing memories and collecting pictures. His […]

  • Politics

    Alaska governor, House speaker team up to knock ‘em down

    by Liz Raines on Feb 12, 21:08

    Alaska Governor Bill Walker and House speaker Rep. Mike Chenault may come from different political parties, but this session they’re playing on the same team, at least on Thursday nights. Walker is the first governor to join the legislative bowling league. It’s a non-partisan tradition that includes legislative staff and pages. But up until now, […]

  • News

    Chocolate-covered strawberries a Valentine’s Day hit in Nome

    by Rhonda McBride on Feb 12, 20:05

    Most of Nome’s urban creature comforts come to town on a jet. Locals usually load up when they’re in Anchorage, which is common to Alaska bush life. “We travel with tubs,” said Trinh Johnson, who was just returning to Nome on a flight from Anchorage. “We don’t have luggage.” The impulse to stock up is […]

  • News

    Anchorage Fire Dept. responds to chimney fire at Midtown duplex

    by KTVA CBS 11 News on Feb 12, 19:24

    Last Updated: Fri., Feb. 12 at 8:30 p.m. Emergency crews were called to the scene of a structure fire at 545 W. 19th Ave. in the Midtown neighborhood shortly before 7 p.m. Friday. The fire apparently started in the chimney of a second floor fireplace, the homeowner told KTVA at the scene. He said most of […]

  • Politics

    Bill allowing easier access to heroin overdose drugs passes final committee

    by Liz Raines on Feb 12, 16:24

    Senate Bill 23, a bill to increase access to heroin overdose antidote drugs, passed it’s final committee in the Alaska House unanimously Friday after making it’s way through the Senate last year. The bill grants immunity to those prescribing, providing or administering an opioid overdose drug. If the bill becomes law, pharmacies could legally dispense […]

  • News

    Contentious Eagle River road project won’t fix congestion problem, group says

    by Eric Ruble on Feb 12, 14:36

    One two-lane road — Yosemite Drive — leads into and out of Eagle River High School and the Eagle Pointe subdivision. During the morning and afternoon, traffic on the road can back up more than 1,000 feet. The road is about to be rebuilt, but the Chugach Birchwood Eagle River Rural Roads Service Area (CBERRRSA) […]

  • News

    Underwater fiber-optic cable repair may disrupt Southeast cable, internet service

    by KTVA Web Staff on Feb 12, 13:45

    Residents in Sitka and Angoon might not be able to binge-watch their favorite shows Sunday evening. General Communication, Inc. (GCI) announced Friday that Sitka and Angoon customers should expect service interruptions due to recent damage to the undersea fiber-optic cable that serves the Sitka and Angoon areas. A release from the company states services may […]