• Forecast
  • News Tip
  • Categories
Temperature Precipitation
Estimated read time
2m 3s

Carbon monoxide levels questioned at Houston Lodge

By KTVA Alaska 10:19 PM February 14, 2014

Residents worry there may be carbon monoxide gas leaking at Houston Lodge.

HOUSTON – Carbon monoxide is called a silent killer because it’s nearly undetectable by human senses, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. But residents at an extended-stay motel in the Mat-Su Valley say they know the dangerous gas is leaking into their homes because they’ve been suffering the side effects for months.

“The only goal we want is to sleep safe at night,” said Houston Lodge resident Elizabeth Rautenkranz. “I can pick up and leave and move, that would set us back quite a bit, but what happens every time I drive by and I know there’s more people being in here?”

Rautenkranz said the gas has been robbing her of and other tenants of the Houston Lodge of their health.

“All of January I was waking up with this sinus headache, my pup was puking every day since we’ve been here,” Rautenkranz said.

Other Houston Lodge tenants said dangerous fumes have robbed them of their home.

“We don’t know what we’re doing. We almost slept in a car right now,” said tenant Kurt Viert.

For the third time this week, the Houston Fire Department was called to the Houston Lodge on Friday to investigate tenants’ carbon monoxide concerns. EMS workers said they definitely smelled the odor of diesel but according to the report filed with the city of Houston, the Houston Fire Department didn’t find any dangerous CO levels when they checked.

A pediatrician’s diagnosis of carbon monoxide poisoning for Viert’s 17-month-old daughter Kailyn, however, legitimizes tenants’ concerns. Viert said he rushed his daughter to an area hospital after she displayed signs of CO poisoning.

Discharge papers show doctors diagnosed Kailyn with carbon monoxide poisoning on Thursday. Viert said he wasn’t surprised by the diagnosis, but was shocked to find out how high his daughter’s CO levels were.

“Her levels were at like 85 and 86,” Viert said. “That’s like an adult who smokes.”

No longer able to return to their Houston Lodge home, per doctor’s orders, the Vierts said they are left searching for a place safer to sleep in than their own beds.

Residents said they were told that the state fire marshall is better equipped to detect potentially dangerous chemicals in the air. Officials from the fire marshall’s office are expected to test the CO levels at the Houston Lodge between Tuesday and Thursday of next week.

The owner of the building said if there is a problem, she won’t hesitate to fix it.

Latest Stories

  • News

    Fewer Alaskans gave to nonprofits through Pick.Click.Give

    by Associated Press on Oct 27, 9:20

    The Alaska Community Foundation says fewer people have decided to give up portions of their annual oil wealth check to support nonprofit organizations this year. Alaska’s Energy Desk reports the foundation’s Pick.Click.Give. program allows Alaskans to donate some of the money they receive from the Alaska Permanent Fund each year to hundreds of nonprofits statewide. The […]

  • News

    National Guard aims to recruit more Alaska Natives

    by Associated Press on Oct 27, 7:39

    The Army National Guard is turning its recruitment efforts to Alaska Natives as it seeks to find soldiers equipped with subsistence skills. KYUK-AM reports that the Guard is launching a three-year program that provides waivers for Alaska Natives looking to join, but who may face barriers to qualification. The pilot program relaxes requirements for the […]

  • News

    Is trick-or-treating a danger to pets? Tips to keep animals safe on Halloween

    by KTVA CBS 11 News on Oct 27, 7:07

    Halloween is a fun holiday for many families — dressing up, trick-or-treating, scary thrills. For some of our furry family members, however, the holiday can provide a number of opportunities for danger. “From decorations to holiday treats, many of the things that make Halloween fun for people can be scary and even deadly to pets,” […]

  • Sports

    Still 2 months away, Copper Basin 300 is off to a good start

    by Dave Goldman on Oct 26, 22:47

    It’s beginning to look a lot like sled dog racing season. The recent winter weather has put a spring in the step of those who organize the Copper Basin 300 sled dog race. Up to eight inches of snow fell last week in the Glennallen area, the Valley and the Copper River Basin. It was followed by frigid temperatures, ensuring the […]

  • ‘Somebody saw something’: Family of Government Hill homicide victim seeks answers

    by Daniella Rivera on Oct 26, 21:49

    As Anchorage police investigate the 28th homicide of the year, the family of 29-year-old victim Ian Alexander Bobich is making a desperate plea for help. Just before 11 p.m. on Monday, police dispatch received several calls from people in the area reporting gunshots near Elm Street and East Bluff Drive. When officers arrived, they found Bobich […]

  • Politics

    Historic US Senate debate in Barrow focuses on the Arctic

    by Rhonda McBride on Oct 26, 21:32

    Organizers billed it as the first ever U.S. Senate debate held above the Arctic Circle. Sen. Lisa Murkowski faced three challengers on the stage at the Barrow High School auditorium on Wednesday. But even before the candidates had a chance to engage, there was a distinctly different flavor to this debate, which began with a prayer […]

  • News

    Neighborhood app highlights trick-or-treating hot spots

    by KTVA CBS 11 News on Oct 26, 21:14

    Alaskans can find the best spots to trick or treat this Halloween, thanks to the online “neighborhood” Nextdoor. Nextdoor is a social media site and app that connects neighbors for things like events, yard sales, missing pets and even local crime. For Halloween, it’s promoting a treat map showing other Nextdoor users who have indicated they […]

  • Lifestyle

    Teal pumpkins raise awareness about trick-or-treaters with food allergies

    by Heather Hintze on Oct 26, 20:10

    Halloween is right around the corner and doctors are urging parents to stock up on toys—in addition to candy—to give out to trick-or-treaters. The Teal Pumpkin Project is a growing effort to raise awareness about kids with food allergies. The Alaska branch of the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America hosted a painting party for children […]