Anchorage has spent $312 million to expand its port. That’s still not enough.
Earlier this year, the municipality hired firm CH2M Hill to to re-do the project that had not been done properly the first time. They have a $30 million budget.
The municipality is seeking a refund from not only the builders but the federal government, which helped oversee the project.
“There is some argument of initial design failures, of design flaws,” said Anchorage Assemblyman Paul Honeman.
Honeman and other Assembly members received an update of their federal suit behind closed doors Friday. They declined to talk about the pending legal action following the one-hour special meeting.
“We didn’t get here by accident. Someone wasn’t watching, someone wasn’t being responsible,” Honeman said.
Honeman and the rest of the Anchorage Assembly want whichever entity is responsible to pay a hefty price for the failed port project. A ruling is expected by January.