Anchorage women were honored for inspiring their community Monday.
The Anchorage ATHENA Society inducted new members at its annual luncheon at the Dena’ina Civic and Convention Center.
The society is a program of the Anchorage Chamber of Commerce and ATHENA International.
The Anchorage ATHENA Society has more than 240 members. New inductees like Michele Brown, president and CEO of United Way of Anchorage, say they hope to inspire the next generation of women to become leaders.
“It’s always nice to be recognized,” Brown said. “But what’s even more important for me is to make sure that everyone around me is recognized because that’s how you get things done, is everybody coming together.”
Brown says she’s excited to work with the Anchorage ATHENA Society to provide scholarships for young women in Alaska.
“It takes a village really to make sure that all our kids do well and that this community prospers,” Brown said. “And now I feel even more a part of that village of people, particularly women, coming together to make this community better.”
Every year, the society selects an award recipient from all local ATHENA Society members. This year it’s Jana Hayenga, owner of Cabin Fever.
The 2014 inductees:
- Ella Anagick, Owner, Law Office of Ella Anagick
- Michele Brown, President and CEO, United Way of Anchorage
- Heather Cavanaugh, Director of Corporate Communications, Alaska Communications
- Dr. Joy Chavez Mapaye, University of Alaska Anchorage, associate professor, Dept. of Journalism & Communication
- Kathy Day, Owner, Kathy Day Public Relations Virtual
- Julie Decker, Director and CEO, The Anchorage Museum of History and Art
- Anna Fairclough, State Senator, Alaska State Legislature
- Abbe Hensley, Executive Director, Best Beginnings, Inc.
- Catherine F. Jorgensen, Brigadier General, Alaska National Guard
- Jana Latham, Owner, Arctic Rose Gallery and Art Center
- Marilyn Romano, Regional Vice President, Alaska Airlines